Strawberry-Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
Everyday Food, May 2006
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours 30 minutes
- Serves 6
Yield Serves 6
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 pint strawberry ice cream, slightly softened
- Make cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light. Add egg and vanilla; beat until incorporated. Reduce speed to low, and gradually mix in flour mixture (dough will be soft). Mix in chocolate chips by hand.
- Drop mounds of dough (each equal to 2 level tablespoons) onto baking sheets, spacing as far apart as possible. With fingers, make mounds as round as possible (you should have 14 to 15).
- Bake, switching baking sheets from top to bottom halfway through, until edges of cookies are firm but not hard, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool 1 minute on baking sheets; transfer cookies to racks to cool completely.
- Assemble sandwiches: Scoop 1/3 cup ice cream onto flat side of each of 6 cookies. Top each with another cookie, and press gently to form a sandwich (you have extra cookies, in case of breakage).
- Freeze sandwiches until firm, at least 1 to 2 hours, before serving (or up to a week, wrapped individually in plastic wrap).
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.