Caramelized-Apple Spice Cake
Apples caramelized in butter and an array of fall spices lend a unique character to this exceptionally moist cake, which lies hidden beneath a mantle of brown-sugar buttercream. Marzipan garnishes -- tinted gold -- make a festive finish.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2007
- 2 1/2 sticks (20 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and grated on the large holes of a box grater (4 cups)
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups pecan halves (5 ounces), toasted dark and finely ground in a food processor
- Brown Sugar Swiss Meringue Buttercream (http://www.marthastewart.com/256740/brown-sugar-swiss-meringue-buttercream)
- <a href="/vgn-ext-templating/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ee3018af73d55110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD">Gold Marzipan Pumpkins, Leaves, and Acorns</A>
- Put 1/2 stick butter into a large nonstick skillet. Using the tip of a paring knife, scrape seeds from vanilla bean into skillet, and toss in pod. Cook over medium heat until butter is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in apples, cider, and 1 cup granulated sugar. Raise heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and cook until apples are golden and translucent and liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Discard vanilla pod. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 8-by-2-inch round cake pans. Dust with flour, and tap out excess. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Reserve 1/4 cup flour mixture.
- Beat remaining 2 sticks butter, remaining 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, and the brown sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to medium, and add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce speed to low. Beat in flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the sour cream and scraping bowl as needed. Add remaining 1/4 cup flour mixture to apple mixture, and toss. Fold in apple mixture and pecans.
- Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake until tops are dark golden brown and a toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes on a wire rack. Run a knife around edges of cakes to loosen. Unmold cakes, and let cool, right side up, on rack. (Cakes can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to 3 days.)
- Assemble cake: Trim each cake so it's 1 3/4 inches high. Place 1 cake, cut side up, on a cake stand. Spread 1 1/2 cups buttercream over top. Place remaining cake, cut side down, on top. Spread 1 cup buttercream over entire cake. Refrigerate until firm, about 45 minutes. Spread remaining frosting over cake. (Cake can be refrigerated, uncovered, overnight.)
- Before serving, decorate with marzipan pumpkins, acorns, and leaves.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.