Use any combination of nuts you like, or just one kind. If using shelled pistachios, rub them between your palms to remove their skins.
Everyday Food, December 2005
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
Yield Makes 1 1/2 pounds
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups mixed nuts, such as pecan halves, cashews, pistachios, coarsely chopped if large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Spray a rimmed baking sheet and a wide metal spatula with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a 2-quart glass measuring cup, combine sugar, corn syrup, and salt, stirring until sugar is moistened. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Stir in butter and nuts; return to microwave for about 5 minutes, until the sugar mixture is thick, bubbly, and very pale brown in color. Mixture is very hot; use handle when holding and pouring.
- Remove from microwave, stir in vanilla and baking soda (mixture may foam up). Immediately pour onto prepared baking sheet, spreading mixture as thinly as possible with the prepared spatula. Let stand 20 minutes until hardened, then lift off sheet, and break brittle into bite-size pieces.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.