Cucumber and Smoked Salmon Sandwiches
MSL Cookbook Vol. 2; The New Classics
- 1/4 pound smoked salmon, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 English cucumber
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche, well chilled
- 1 lime, peeled and segmented, each segment cut into 4 pieces
- Make tartare: In a small bowl, combine salmon, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, and zest. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a paring knife or vegetable peeler, remove skin on two opposite sides of cucumber. Trim the ends, and cut cucumber crosswise into 48 slices, 1/4 inch thick. Place slices on paper towels to dry.
- Using a butter knife or a small offset spatula, spread about 1/2 teaspoon of creme fraiche on half of the cucumber slices, and then top with a teaspoon of tartare. Place remaining cucumber slices on top, followed by a small dollop of creme fraiche and a piece of lime. Serve immediately, or chill, covered with plastic wrap, up to 1 hour.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.