Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Salad
The ingredients of this classic sandwich are just as good layered in a salad.
Martha Stewart Living, July/August 1999
- 24 strips (cut 1/4 inch thick) bacon, (1 pound)
- 2 1/2 bunches lettuce, such as romaine, Bibb, or green oakleaf
- 1 cup Avocado Dressing Avocado Dressing (http://www.marthastewart.com/260712/avocado-dressing)
- 2 pounds tomatoes, preferably red and yellow
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange bacon strips on a wire rack set over a baking pan. Place pan in oven until bacon is golden brown and crisp, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven, being careful of the bacon fat that has collected under the rack, and set aside.
- Arrange lettuce in the bottom of a salad bowl; drizzle with half the avocado dressing. Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices; cut cherry tomatoes, depending on size, in half. Arrange tomato slices over lettuce; scatter cherry tomatoes over tomato slices.
- Arrange whole bacon strips over tomatoes. Drizzle with remaining avocado dressing, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.