Warm Quinoa, Spinach, and Shiitake Salad
The quinoa adds protein as well as a chewy texture to this meatless main dish. The heat of the cooked quinoa and mushrooms helps wilt the spinach; the dressing and feta pulls this warm salad together.
Everyday Food, September 2005
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 pounds fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps halved
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Heat broiler; set rack 4 inches from heat. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- On a large rimmed broiler-proof baking sheet, toss mushrooms with half the dressing (reserve the rest); broil, tossing occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine quinoa, 3 cups water, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cover, and simmer until liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place spinach in a large bowl; add hot mushrooms, quinoa, and reserved dressing. Toss to combine (spinach will wilt slightly). Top with crumbled feta, and serve immediately.
Do not soak shiitakes in water because they will become spongy. Instead, wipe the caps clean with a damp paper towel after trimming away the stems.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.