Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1999/2000
Yield Makes one 9-to-10-inch round
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. with rack in center. Place shortening in a 9-to-10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, and transfer to oven to heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In another bowl, whisk together milk and eggs. Pour milk mixture into flour mixture; stir just until combined. Do not overmix; batter should be lumpy.
- Carefully slide out oven rack. Pour batter into hot skillet. Cook until cornbread is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 25 minutes. Let stand, uncovered, overnight.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.