Slipcovered Easter Basket
A plain wicker basket dressed up in gingham is as delightful as the treats it holds and can be reused on other occasions.
Martha Stewart Baby, 2002
- Select ribbon at least as wide as the height of the basket's sides.
- Make a paper template for each side of basket (add 1/2-inch seam allowance to both ends of each piece and 1 inch more to front piece for a pleat).
- Trace templates onto ribbon; cut out.
- Fold top edges of ribbon pieces under to be the same height as basket, if necessary; press.
- Make a 1/2-inch pleat in the front piece; press. Sew buttons through pleat to secure.
- Sew pieces together, right sides facing; turn inside out.
- Slip basket into cover; hand-sew it through wicker at corners.
- Wrap and glue a felt strip around top of handle; cover with velvet ribbon.
- Cut felt "grass"; glue it inside basket.
- Wicker basket
- Wide ribbon
- Velvet ribbon
- Sewing machine
- Needle and thread
- Craft glue
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.