Felt Cherry Pie
Make this adorable felt cherry pie -- it's perfect for any play kitchen.
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, February 2009
- Enlarge and print template; cut out shapes.
- Trace and cut two pie-top circles from red felt. Cut 1-inch-wide by 8-inch-long strips from tan felt with pinking shears.
- Weave strips over one red circle as you would for a pie. Place second red circle over first circle and strips.
- Machine sew around circle with a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Cut a slit in the center of the bottom red circle and turn entire pie top right-side out.
- Trace and cut the pie-filler circle from 1/2-inch polyester batting. Stuff the pie top with the batting circle and hand-sew the slit closed.
- Trace and cut two "side of pie" pieces from tan felt. For each, fold over about 1/2 inch on the longer side and iron; sew down edge. Trace and cut the pie bottom from the tan felt.
- Machine sew both side pieces to bottom circle. Sew the ends of the sides together.
- Trace and cut the pie-filler circle from 1/2-inch polyester batting and 1-inch polyester batting. Insert both into felt pie crust.
- Place pie top on top of batting; pin and hand sew in place.
- Sew a thin piece of brown felt onto a red felted ball to make a cherry; cut a leaf shape and add to brown felt stem with a few stitches. Sew cherry onto top of pie.
- Pie template
- Red felt
- Tan felt
- Pinking shears
- Sewing machine
- 1/2-inch-thick polyester batting
- 1-inch-thick polyester batting
- Brown and green felt scraps
- Red felted ball
- Needle and coordinating thread
© 2015 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.