Coiled Wood-Veneer Ornament
Martha Stewart Living, December 2008
- Using a 56-millimeter scallop-edged circle punch, cut 2 circles from birch-wood veneer.
- Brush back of 1 circle with craft glue; affix to second circle, aligning edges. Set under a weight. Let dry.
- Leaving a 3-inch tail at the starting point, begin winding embroidery thread (on spool) around circle: Fit thread into 1 notch at top of circle.
- Count 9 notches beyond first notch; draw thread across front of ornament, and slip it into 10th notch. Draw thread up back of ornament, and slip it into 2nd notch.
- Draw thread across front of ornament, and slip it into 11th notch. Draw thread up back of ornament to 3rd notch.
- Repeat pattern, winding thread until all notches are wrapped.
- Tie end of thread to original tail at ornament's edge. Knot thread ends at tip of 3-inch tail to form a hanging loop. Trim excess thread.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.