Bottle-Cap Magnets and Thumbtacks
A homey take on the traditional locket, bottle caps inset with small black-and-white pictures can be used as thumbtacks or magnets.
Photography: James Merrell
Martha Stewart Living, January 2008
- Using the craft punch, cut out pictures. Using craft glue, attach one picture to the inside of each bottle cap. Let dry.
- Cover a work surface to protect it from spills, and lay caps on top. Following manufacturer's instructions for clear casting resin, fill each bottle cap to the rim. Let dry overnight.
- Using contact cement, attach magnets or thumbtacks to the backs of the bottle caps. Let dry overnight before using.
- 1-inch circular craft punch
- Craft glue
- Bottle caps
- Clear casting resin
- Contact cement
- Small magnets or thumbtacks
Clear resin is poured into the caps to seal the photos and give them an appealing glossy finish.
Twist-off caps are better than conventional ones because they don't bend when removed. For appropriately small images, try cutting details from large photos or resize pictures to fit your bottle cap.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.