Felted Bead Jewelry
The Martha Stewart Show, September 2006
- Begin with a small wad of wool, then wrap lengths of wool tightly around it.
- Keep adding layers until your fluffy ball is approximately twice the size you want it to end up.
- Dunk the ball in hot, soapy water to soak it, and then gently roll it from hand to hand (but don't squeeze). Keep doing this for about 10 minutes, dipping as it cools.
- To create stripes, work strips of wool into the ball with your fingertips. For dots, wind some fleece into a disk, like a cinnamon swirl, then dip and work it in with your fingertips.
- After decorating, roll the ball in your palms some more, dipping if it cools. Stop when it has shrunk to the size you want. Rinse and let dry.
- Use a toothpick to poke a hole through each bead before it hardens.
- Thread bead on embroidery floss, tying a knot to space.
- Bowl filled with hot, soapy water (4 tablespoons of dye-free liquid dishwashing detergent to 6 cups of water)
- Bowl filled with cool water
- Embroidery floss
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.