Caned Bed How-To
Martha Stewart Living, June 2006
- Apply 2 coats of primer; let dry.
- Apply 2 coats of light-beige paint; let dry.
- Mark off grid with 1/2-inch painter's tape, following holes (we made a 45-degree line every 6th hole in 2 directions).
- Apply 2 coats of putty-colored paint; let dry.
- Remove tape. Using the light-beige paint and a 1/2-inch flat paintbrush, hand-paint lines around curved edges and touch up any putty-colored paint that seeped onto the grid lines.
Caned furniture is often painted in geometric patterns. The holes lead the way, eliminating the need for ruler lines.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.