Black Magic Pumpkins
These puckish pumpkins with their paint-blackened rinds and orange-gold interiors, thumb their carved noses at traditional jack-o'-lanterns.
Martha Stewart Living, Volume 143 October 2005
- Make a 4-inch round hole in the bottom of your pumpkin with a carving saw; scrape out flesh.
- Place pumpkin on newspaper in a well-ventilated area. Wrap masking tape around stem, and coat pumpkin with black floral spray. Let dry for 30 minutes; remove tape.
- Print desired template enlarged or reduced to fit your pumpkin, and cut outside the perimeter. Tape to pumpkin.
- Use needle tool to outline the shape with close-set holes. Cut out design with saw. (If necessary, touch up pumpkin with floral spray.)
- Place battery-powered light inside. For a muted glow, affix a sheet of waxed paper behind the cutout with straight pins before adding the light source.
- Miniature carving saw
- Plaster scraper
- Masking tape
- Black floral spray
- Battery-powered light
- Needle tool or awl
- Waxed paper Straight pins
- Pumpkin carving template
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.