The Martha Stewart Show, May 2006
1. Select 3 terra-cotta pots of descending size (e.g., 19-, 11-, and 6-inch-high pots) with drainage holes. Use pots of either the same style or of different styles. Choose a location for your garden. Once your pots are filled, the tiered garden might be too heavy to move.
2. Place a piece of crockery over the drainage hole in the largest, or bottom, pot. Fill the bottom pot evenly with potting mix nearly to the rim.
3. Center and nestle the second pot onto the first.
4. Put a piece of crock over the drainage hole in the mid-size, or second, pot. Fill with soil.
5. Place plants in bottom and second tier.
6. Put a piece of crockery in the bottom of the third, or top, pot. Fill top pot with soil and center it on the second tier.