Luminous Cake Stand
You can create a range of glowing serving pieces by painting wooden bowls and compotes.
Martha Stewart Living, October 2008
- Working on a covered surface, lightly sand a wooden candlestick and a circular plaque with fine-grit sandpaper to smooth edges.
- Lay plaque so that the lip rises up. Using a hot-glue gun, fill the inside of candlestick with glue, and coat the top rim. Invert candlestick, and affix it to center of plaque. Let stand 2 hours.
- Coat cake stand with white primer spray paint.
- Using a small paintbrush, coat with optical white paint. Let dry according to directions. Add a second coat if needed.
- Flip over to display cake stand.
- Wooden candlestick
- Circular plaque
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- Hot-glue gun
- Glow in the dark paint
Slip parchment or waxed paper beneath food to avoid placing it directly on the paint.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.