Costumes with Wings
A basic pair of wings can serve as the basis for many different costumes.
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, October 2006
- Download and enlarge bat wings template, fairy wings template, or dragonfly wings template; trace onto kraft paper.
- Wrap 18-gauge steel wire with black tape.
- Bend wire into 3-D shape. First form top shape, then the bottom with another length of wire.
- Join top and bottom shapes with a piece of duct tape.
- Cut a leg off panty hose. Slide over bottom of one wing. Pull taut and tie a knot in the back of wire structure.
- Repeat for bottom of other wing, then tops of wings.
- Using colored Halloween "hair spray," spray both wings black.
- Glue on plastic gems to back and front of wings.
- To make the harness, one by one, sew the ends of a foot of clear elastic to the front of the knot in middle of wings.
- Follow the same process as butterfly costume, except step 6. Tie off both top and bottom of wings. Then, use follow rest of process, using white Halloween hair spray for step 7.
- Kraft paper
- 18-gauge steel wire
- Black tape
- Bat wings template
- Fairy wings template
- Dragonfly wings template
- Duct tape
- Black spiderweb tights, for bat costume
- Colored Halloween "hair spray"
- Plastic gems
- Glue gun
- Clear elastic (1 foot)
© 2015 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.