New Butterfly Costume
Once you have a basic pair of wings, you can embellish them to create many different costumes.
The Martha Stewart Show, October 2006
- Download and enlarge butterfly wings template; trace onto kraft paper.
- Wrap 18-gauge steel wire with black tape.
- Form traced shape with wire by bending with hands. First form the top shape, then the bottom with another length of wire.
- Join the top and bottom shapes with a piece of duct tape.
- Cut a leg off panty hose. Slide over the bottom of one wing. Pull taut and tie a knot in the back of wire structure.
- Repeat for the bottom of the other wing, then the tops of wings.
- Using colored Halloween hair spray, spray one wing orange and one wing black.
- Glue on plastic gems to the back and front of the wings.
- To make the harness, sew the ends of 1 foot of clear elastic to the front of the knot in the middle of the wings, one by one.
- To make antennae, wrap a black headband with black pipe cleaners.
- Kraft paper
- 18-gauge steel wire
- Black tape
- Butterfly wings template
- Duct tape
- Panty hose
- Colored Halloween hair spray
- Plastic gems
- Glue gun
- Clear elastic (1 foot)
- Black headband
- Black pipe cleaners
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.