Baby Booties and Play Block
Martha Stewart Living, February 2006
- Weave two 4-inch squares. Fold one in half to form a rectangle.
- With the same yarn, stitch one short side to create heel. Stitch up nearly half of length to form an opening.
- Make a running stitch around front opening, then pull to cinch closed; stitch over several times to secure before ending in a knot.
- With a different yarn, sew a running stitch around top opening, just under scalloped edge; tie ends in a bow. Repeat with second square.
- When making items for a baby, use soft materials that will be gentle on sensitive skin; we used cashmere and baby-alpaca yarns. Weave six swatches from a 4-inch loom, and sew together in a "T" form.
- Place a 4-inch foam block on center square, and continue stitching swatches together, enclosing foam.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.