The Martha Stewart Show, September 2008
- Fold a place mat in half widthwise, so that right sides are facing each other.
- Pin the ends of the cording to the inside edges near the top of bag. Sew cord to mat to secure in place.
- Pin the rest of the open sides together. Stitch together both sides, then remove pins.
- Create a gusset bottom by pulling the sides apart and sewing straight across to create a triangle shape.
- Flip bag right side out and push out the corners.
- The easiest closure option is to leave the top open, but you can also sew a zipper on, add Velcro, or attach snaps.
- Cloth place mat
- Cording, cut to desired length for handle
- Thread (color complementary to place mat)
- Zipper, Velcro, or snaps (optional)
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.