1. Be sure to use plenty of water in a large pot; for every pound of pasta, use at least 5 quarts of water.
2. Add enough salt after the water comes to a boil; the water should taste like the sea.
3. Use oil in your salads, not in your pasta water. Adding oil prevents the sauce from adhering to the pasta.
4. Never combine two types or sizes of pasta in the same pot; they will not cook evenly.
5. Save some of the cooking liquid to add to the sauce to loosen it. Do not rinse the pasta unless you are using it in a salad; starch helps the sauce adhere.