Martha Stewart Kids, 2001
- Fold square in half, top to bottom. Cut slits down from top, 1 inch apart, stopping 2 inches from bottom.
- Curl strips around pencil. Curve hat into a circle; staple.
- Place paper right side down. Fold it in half diagonally from top left corner, then again from top right. Fold top triangle in half, left to right; crease, then unfold.
- Lift top layer of left corner and align on right corner as shown.
- Raise center flap, and fold up left corner of large triangle so raw edge meets interior crease; fold down flap again.
- Tuck bottom corners inside hat.
- Fold in half diagonally. Place triangle so fold faces you. Fold both layers down at 2 inches from bottom.
- Fold back up at 1 inch from first fold.
- Curve into a circle; staple. For all hats, punch a hole in and tie a ribbon to each side.
- Heavy 12-inch square paper
- Hole punch
New Year's Eve merits the finest party hat. Let young celebrants choose the one best suited to their personality.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.