This adorable animal night-light makes the perfect addition to any nursery.
The Martha Stewart Show, May 2007
- Rest an air-filled balloon in a medium bowl to hold in place.
- Using a paper towel, grease balloon surface with oil.
- Using natural cheese-cloth, trim ends to make a large circle. Mold onto top half of balloon. Smooth out surface, to prevent bumps.
- Place an 8-inch-diameter round bottom wire over balloon.
- Spray natural cheese-cloth with fabric stiffener made from 1 part water and 1 part fabric stiffener.
- Trim hanging excess cheese-cloth to even out length.
- Fold excess cheese-cloth up and over wire to enclose it, and create a finished rim. Let dry 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Using decoupage gel, coat cheese cloth.
- Cover dome with triangle-cut tissue paper (for base color). Once tissue paper is in place, seal with decoupage gel.
- Place precut segment on dome top. Use decoupage gel to adhere. Place second precut segment on top of first. Add more gel to seal segments in place. Repeat process for remaining segments.
- If necessary, apply another coat of decoupage gel and allow to dry 30 minutes.
- Poke hole in balloon to let it deflate slowly. Remove balloon.
- Glue on seam binding.
- Download and print turtle template; cut out shapes. Using green card stock paper, cut out shapes for head, feet, and tail.
- Using a mat knife, cut green tongue depressors to 1 inch in length. Attach to paper using glue. Attach remaining foot to shade.
- While flat, draw eyes using black marker or attach google eyes. Fold head to slight cone shape to add dimension. Attach to shade with glue.
- Place shade over bulb stand with 7.5 watt bulb.
- Seam binding
- Colored tissue paper
- Green tongue depressors
- Turtle template
- Elephant template
- Mat knife
- Green card stock paper
- Decoupage gel
- Medium bowl
- Paper towel
- Natural cheese-cloth
- 8-inch-diameter round lampshade bottom wire
- Fabric stiffener
- Spray bottle
- Black marker
- Google eyes, optional
- Bulb stand
- 7.5 watt bulb
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.