This simple reversible purse is a wonderful project for beginning and advanced sewers alike.
The Martha Stewart Show, May 2008
- Download, enlarge, and print template on heavy paper or card stock. Trace template twice on each fabric and cut out.
- Align and pin the two solid pieces together, right sides facing. Do the same with the two patterned pieces.
- Using 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew along the top of each handle and along the bottom curve of each pinned piece, leaving both sides of both handles open.
- Turn the solid piece right side out, and insert the solid piece into the inside-out patterned piece. Line up seams, raw edges, and handles.
- Pin the edges of the "neckline" of the bag and sew with a 1/4-inch seam.
- Going through the longer handle, turn the entire bag right side out (patterned fabric on the outside). Press all seams.
- Fold raw edges of "armholes" in 1/4 inch and press. Baste together. Topstitch 1/8 inch around bag handles to finish.
- Bag template
- Heavy paper or cardstock
- 1/2 yard of patterned fabric
- 1/2 yard of solid fabric
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing machine
- Coordinating machine-sewing thread
- Needle and thread for basting stitch
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.