Photography: ANN STRATTON
Martha Stewart Living, January 2007
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 3 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 1 pork roast (shoulder or rump; about 5 pounds)
- Barbecue Sauce
- 6 brioche rolls or hamburger buns, split
- Stir together paprika, garlic, sugar, ground mustard, and salt in a small bowl. Rub spice mixture all over pork. Cover pork with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 3 hours (up to overnight).
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Transfer pork to a roasting pan. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of the meat registers 170 degrees and pork pulls away easily with a fork, about 6 hours. Transfer pork to a cutting board; let rest 10 minutes.
- Set roasting pan over two burners of the stove. Add 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to loosen browned bits, until reduced by half, about 3 minutes; reserve for barbecue sauce.
- Using two forks, shred warm pork into a large bowl. Add half the barbecue sauce, and stir to coat. Spoon pork onto bottom halves of rolls; top with more sauce, and sandwich with tops of rolls.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.