In this sandwich, slow-cooked pork is dressed in sauce (use any of the four varieties). Pickled vegetables make a piquant addition.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2009
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup whole-grain mustard
- 1/3 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (<A href="http://www.penzeys.com/" target="_blank">penzeys.com</A>)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pork butt (5 pounds), skinned and boned
- 2 cups water
- Classic Barbecue Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/262448/classic-barbecue-sauce), any variation, to taste
- 8 sandwich buns
- Pickled Cucumber, Red Onion, and Radishes (http://www.marthastewart.com/258561/pickled-cucumber-red-onion-and-radishes)
- Using a fork, mash together garlic, mustard, sugar, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl to form a paste.
- Spread paste evenly over top of pork. Refrigerate in a roasting pan for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Add water to bottom of pan, and cover with foil. Cook, basting hourly, flipping halfway through, until pork is tender and pulls apart easily, about 6 hours. Let cool slightly. Using 2 forks, shred pork, and toss with barbecue sauce. Sandwich pork mixture between buns, topping the meat with pickled vegetables.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.