Slices of crisped pancetta and melted fontina cheese take the place of bacon and cheddar.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2007
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Serves 4
Yield Serves 4
- 4 thin slices pancetta
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chuck
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place pancetta on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake, flipping the slices halfway through, until crisp, about 15 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, using your hands, combine ground chuck, salt, chili powder, and paprika in a bowl, and season with pepper. Shape into 4 patties (about 4 inches in diameter).
- Preheat grill to medium. (If you are using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 5 to 6 seconds.) Grill burgers 4 to 5 minutes. Flip burgers, and top with cheese. Grill 3 to 4 minutes more for medium-rare. Remove, and let rest 5 minutes. Top burgers with pancetta, and serve on buns.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.