Cajun Kebabs with Chicken and Andouille
In about half an hour, sit down to a high-style, low-country meal worthy of the bayou's best restaurant.
Everyday Food, July/August 2007
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grates
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion, plus 1 small red onion, cut into 2-inch pieces, layers separated
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 ounces precooked andouille or kielbasa sausage (about 2 links), cut into 16 pieces
- Soak eight 6-inch-long wooden skewers in water for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Add chopped onion, celery, and bell pepper; season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in black-eyed peas, vinegar, and remaining oil.
- Heat grill to medium; lightly oil grates. Season chicken with oregano, salt, and pepper. Alternately thread chicken, onion, and sausage onto skewers.
- Grill, turning occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve skewers with black-eyed pea salad.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.