Arugula, Frisee, and Red-Leaf Salad with Strawberries
Create your own salad mix with a combination of three leafy-green varieties, each with its own unique color, texture, and flavor. In this salad, peppery, dark-green arugula contrasts with sweet, crisp red-leaf lettuce and light-green, lacy, bitter frisee. (A member of the chicory family, frisee is more delicate and has a less bitter flavor than chicory.) If you prefer a lighter dish, you can easily keep this salad lean and simple by omitting the walnuts and goat cheese.
More recipes for your Spring Greens and learn how to keep greens fresh.
- Prep Time 35 minutes
- Total Time 35 Minutes
- Serves 4
Yield Serves 4
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 cups baby arugula (about 2 ounces), washed and dried
- 3 cups (about 1/2 small head) red-leaf lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups (about 1 small head) frisee, trimmed, washed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, dried, hulled, and quartered
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)
- 2 Belgian endives, leaves separated, washed and dried
- 6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Add the arugula, red-leaf lettuce, frisee, strawberries, and walnuts, if using. Season with salt and pepper; toss to combine.
- On each of 4 individual salad plates, arrange 3 large endive leaves in a 3-pointed star with tips facing out. Then place equal mounds of salad in the center of each plate. Scatter goat cheese on top, if desired. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.