Light Turkey Meatballs
Stock the freezer with these healthy basics and, when the mood strikes, try them in our Whole-Wheat Spaghetti and Turkey Meatballs, Turkey-Meatball Salad with Roasted Peppers and Parmesan, or in Mini Barbecue Meatball Sliders.
Everyday Food, January/February 2008
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes, plus freezing
Yield Makes 35
- 3 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (93 percent lean, dark meat)
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Place bread in food processor; pulse until fine crumbs form. In a small bowl, mix breadcrumbs with milk; set aside at least 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, scallions, garlic, parsley, egg, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and breadcrumb mixture; mix gently with a fork.
- With hands, form mixture into balls, each equal to 2 level tablespoons; arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- To freeze, place baking sheet with meatballs in the freezer, and freeze for 1 hour to set their shape; transfer frozen meatballs to an airtight container or resealable plastic bag, and freeze for up to 3 months.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.