Classic Pound Cake
The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2008
Yield Makes one 9-by-5-inch loaf
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan; set aside. Whisk flour and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Put butter, granulated sugar, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until pale and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined after each addition. Reduce speed to low; mix in flour mixture until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, and smooth with an offset spatula. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until cake is golden and a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes. Turn out onto rack, and let cool completely. Before serving, dust cake with confectioners' sugar, if desired. Cake can be stored at room temperature, wrapped well in plastic, up to 3 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.