- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) soba (Japanese buckwheat noodles)
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut in half or thirds if too large to fit in skillet
- 1 pound snow peas, stem ends removed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook noodles until al dente. Drain; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Season steak with salt and pepper. Cook (in batches if necessary), turning once, until medium-rare, 2 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer steak to a cutting board, and loosely tent with aluminum foil (reserve skillet with juices).
- Add snow peas to skillet, and toss with juices. Cook on medium-high heat, tossing occasionally, until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add noodles, soy sauce, and 2 tablespoons water; cook until warmed through, about 20 seconds. Transfer to serving bowls. Slice steak; place on top of noodles, and add any accumulated juices. Scatter with peanuts, and serve.
For maximum tenderness, avoid cooking steak beyond medium-rare. Find soba noodles in the Asian-foods aisle.
The TV show adds 1 tablespoon white miso; 2 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish; 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, for garnish