Martha Stewart Living, May 2003
- 3 medium eggplants
- Coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil and olive oil, for frying
- 1 pound pasta, such as bucatini
- 3 cups Tomato Sauce with Meat Tomato Sauce with Meat (http://www.marthastewart.com/262589/tomato-sauce-with-meat)
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 4 ounces thinly sliced caciocavallo cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Peel the eggplants, and slice them lengthwise 1/4-inch-thick. Sprinkle with salt, and place in a colander to drain for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly butter a 10-inch springform pan with 1 tablespoon butter. Coat evenly with the breadcrumbs; set aside.
- Using paper towels, dry the eggplant slices. Heat 1/2-inch oil (half vegetable, half olive) in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add eggplant, and cook until lightly golden on both sides. Drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Line the bottom and sides of the prepared pan with eggplant slices, slightly overlapping them and letting them overhang the sides of the pan; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and pasta, and cook for 4 minutes. Drain, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir the tomato sauce, half of the Parmesan and Pecorino, and the oregano into the pasta. Spoon half of the pasta into the lined pan. Top with caciocavalo cheese, remaining 3 tablespoons each Parmesan and Pecorino, and basil, then the remaining pasta. Fold the overhanging slices of eggplant over the pasta, and cover completely with remaining eggplant slices.
- Dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Bake until the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, place a platter on top, and invert. Let stand for 10 minutes before unmolding. Remove the sides and bottom of the pan. Serve with remaining cup of sauce on the side.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.