Broiled Black-Pepper Tofu
Grocery stores often carry several kinds of tofu, so be sure to buy the firm variety for this dish. Pressing the tofu will remove excess water and allow it to soak up the peppery marinade.
Photography: Kirsten Strecker
Martha Stewart Living, May 2005
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Serves 4
Yield Serves 4
- 1 1/2 blocks firm tofu (from two 14-ounce packages)
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Soy-Lemon Dipping Sauce
- Cut tofu crosswise into 6 slices (about 3/4 inch thick each). Cut each slice diagonally into 2 triangles. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a double layer of paper towels. Place tofu on top, and cover with another double layer of paper towels. Place another baking sheet or a large plate on top. Weigh down with heavy objects (such as large cans of food); let stand 20 minutes.
- Preheat broiler with rack 6 inches from heat. Stir together tamari soy sauce, oil, and pepper in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Pat tofu dry with paper towels; transfer to baking dish. Turn to coat both sides with marinade. Broil, flipping once, until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Serve with dipping sauce.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.