Toasted Orzo with Olives and Lemon
Toasting the orzo (rice-shaped pasta) in olive oil before cooking it in water gives it a nutty taste and a golden color.
Everyday Food, September 2003
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Serves 8
Yield Serves 8
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound (2 1/2 cups) orzo
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup slivered black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add orzo; cook, stirring, until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add 4 cups water and lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover, and simmer until orzo is al dente and liquid is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes (if orzo is cooked but liquid remains, cook uncovered to evaporate).
- Remove from heat. Stir in olives, parsley, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and lemon juice.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.