Tofu and Scallions in Mushroom Broth
Serve this simple broth in small bowls as an appetizer, similar to miso soup.This recipe is from the new "Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home" cookbook.Photo credit: Kate Sears
Dinner at Home, 2009
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms (1 cup)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, preferably tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar (unseasoned)
- 2 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (1/4 cup)
- 1 scallion, green part only, sliced very thin, for garnish
- Combine mushrooms and the water in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat until liquid is at a simmer; cook, partially covered, until broth is a rich brown color, about 25 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a medium bowl (or large liquid measuring cup), pressing on mushrooms with a wooden spoon to remove as much liquid as possible; discard mushrooms. Stir soy sauce and vinegar into broth; divide evenly among four bowls. Add tofu, and garnish with scallion. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.