Tomato Sauce with Meat
Note: These recipes have been adapted from 'The Flavors of Sicily' by Anna Tasca Lanza. Text copyright 2001 by Anna Tasca Lanza. Photography copyright 2001 by Alessandro Leone. Reprinted by permission of Ici La Press.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2003
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 small carrots, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup small peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 28-ounce cans plum tomatoes, drained and passed through the medium disc of a food mill
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine the onion and olive oil over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add beef, carrots, celery, and peas. Cook, stirring and breaking up meat with the back of a spoon, until meat is no longer pink, about 8 minutes
- Add wine, bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, partially covered, for 40 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Remove and discard bay leaf before using.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.