Martha Stewart Living, July 2001
For the Patties
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce, such as Crosse & Blackwell
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 10 pats
For the Topping
- 12 ounces white cheddar, thinly sliced
- Use a fork to combine the chuck, sirloin, steak sauce, egg yolks, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; do not mash mixture. Divide into 10 equal parts. Form patties. Make an indentation in each patty; place a piece of butter inside, and encase completely with meat.
- Heat a grill, grill pan, or broiler. Cook patties 5 minutes, flip, and top with cheese. Cook 3 to 5 minutes more, until almost cooked through. Transfer to a plate; cover with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.