- coarse salt
- 1 pound farfalle
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 6 cups canola oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Fill a 4-quart saucepan with water, and bring to a boil. Lightly salt water, and add pasta. Cook until half cooked, about 7 minutes. Drain pasta; blot dry.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon zest, Parmesan, and chives. Set aside.
- In high-sided medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat oil until it registers 375 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. In four batches, carefully transfer pasta to oil, and fry until light brown, about 1 1/2 minutes per batch. Using a wire skimmer or slotted spoon, remove from oil; drain on a paper-towel-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- While farfalle are still warm, sprinkle each batch with a quarter of the cheese mixture; season with salt and pepper. Farfalle can be stored in an airtight container overnight.