Herbed Mashed Potatoes
These herbed mashed potatoes are a perfect complement to a early fall dinner.
Martha Stewart Living, September/October 1991
- 6 large white potatoes, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1 tablespoon each of chopped fresh sage, rosemary, and thyme
- 4 tablespoon (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cornmeal Fried Tomatoes (http://www.marthastewart.com/261093/cornmeal-fried-tomatoes)
- Put potato chunks in a large saucepan over high heat and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine cream and all the herbs except parsley and bring to a simmer. Turn off heat and cover, allowing herbs to infuse for 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well and pass through a food mill (or use a masher). Add butter and gradually stir in cream until potatoes have the desired consistency (you may not use all the cream).
- Stir in parsley, season with additional salt and pepper, and serve immediately. Serve with cornmeal fried tomatoes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.