Seared Scallops with Bacon
Remove the tough white muscle from the scallops before slicing them.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2000
- 6 slices bacon cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound large sea scallops (about 16), sliced in half crosswise to form 2 rounds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot (about 2 shallots)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-low heat, and add bacon. Cook slowly, stirring frequently, until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Drain excess fat, leaving a thin coat on bottom of pan. Increase heat to medium, add scallops to pan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until golden brown and opaque, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer scallops to a serving dish, and add shallots to pan. When shallots are translucent, add white wine; scrape browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. Cook until liquid is reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in butter, pour over scallops and top with reserved bacon. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.