Christmas Cookbook 2003
Yield Makes about 1 1/4 cups
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole juniper berries
- 1 cup fresh or thawed cranberries
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup apple cider, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup red-currant jelly
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallot, and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Add sage leaves and juniper berries; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add cranberries, maple syrup, apple cider, jelly, salt and pepper. Raise heat to medium-high, and simmer until cranberries are soft and starting to burst, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer cranberry mixture to a food processor, and puree until smooth. Pass puree through a fine sieve into a small saucepan.
- Return glaze to stove, and simmer gently over medium heat until it has thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes; you should have about 1 1/4 cups. If glaze seems too thick, thin it with a little apple cider. Keep warm until ready to use.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.