Cottage Cheese Pancakes with Lemon
After making the batter, cook the pancakes immediately to ensure that they retain their volume.Per serving: 218 calories, 6 g fat, 216 mg cholesterol, 23 g carbs, 152 mg sodium, 17 g protein, 1 g fiber
Martha Stewart Living, December 2004
- 6 large eggs, separated, yolks lightly beaten
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 2 cups 2-percent cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 lemons (1 zested; 1 cut into wedges)
- Beat egg whites on medium-high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir together yolks, cottage cheese, granulated sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk in one-third of the whites. In two batches, gently fold in remaining whites with a rubber spatula.
- Spray griddle with cooking spray; heat until a drop of batter sizzles upon contact. Working in batches, pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle; cook until surfaces bubble and edges are slightly dry, about 1 minute. Flip pancakes; cook until undersides are golden brown, about 3 minutes more. Divide confectioners' sugar among pancakes. Serve sprinkled with lemon zest and with lemon wedges on the side.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.