White Bean Chili with Herbed Yogurt Cheese
White bean chili, paired with herbed yogurt cheese, includes the assertive flavors of roasted poblano chile peppers, cumin, coriander, and paprika.Return to Healthy Calcium-Rich Menu.
Photography: Lisa Hubbard
Martha Stewart Living, May 2001
- 3 cups dried navy or other white beans
- 2 small poblano chile peppers
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 30 ounces homemade or canned low-sodium chicken stock, skimmed of fat
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 radishes, grated
- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Herbed Yogurt Cheese (http://www.marthastewart.com/261585/herbed-yogurt-cheese)
- Pick over dried beans, discarding any stones or broken beans; rinse. Place in a large saucepan, cover with cold water by 2 inches, and bring to a strong boil over high heat. Cover, and remove from heat; let stand 1 hour. Drain the beans; set aside.
- Meanwhile, place peppers directly over the trivet of a gas-stove burner over high heat or on a grill. As they turn black, turn with tongs. (Alternatively, place peppers on a baking pan; broil in oven, turning as peppers become charred.) Transfer charred peppers to a medium bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let peppers rest 15 minutes. Transfer to a work surface (do not rinse). Peel off blackened skin; discard. Halve peppers; remove seeds and ribs; discard. Cut pepper into 1/4-inch pieces; set aside.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, carrot, and celery. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and slightly browned, about 15 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, paprika, and cayenne, if using; stir to combine. Stir in stock,water, beans, and half the roasted poblano peppers. Cover; cook until beans are soft, about 1 1/2 hours. Uncover; simmer gently until beans begin to fall apart, about 30 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve chili garnished with remaining poblano peppers, radish, cilantro, and yogurt cheese, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.