Spaghetti and Meatballs with Mark
Martha Stewart Living, July/August 1998
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 pound ground veal
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1 egg white
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup dry unseasoned breadcrumbs, plus more for coating
- Coarse salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound dry spaghetti
- 3 cups Mark Strausman's Tomato Sauce Mark Strausman's Tomato Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/254893/mark-strausmans-tomato-sauce)
- In a large saute pan, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Place ground meats in a large mixing bowl. Remove onions from heat, and add to ground meats. Add egg white, egg yolks, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and breadcrumbs to bowl, and combine. Season with salt and pepper. Add the red-pepper flakes and oregano, and mix well to combine.
- Roll the ground-meat mixture into golf ball–sized meatballs. Place on a baking sheet covered with breadcrumbs, and roll. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add meatballs, and brown on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove meatballs from the pan, and transfer them to a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Discard remaining oil. Return meatballs to pan, and cover with 3 cups tomato sauce. Slowly simmer over medium heat, until meatballs are heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti, and cook until al dente, about 6 to 8 minutes, or according to package instructions. Drain, and add cooked spaghetti to the sauce mixture. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.