These delicious cupid cakes, courtesy of chef Sebastien Rouxel from Bouchon Bakery, will charm your special someone this Valentine's Day.
The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2009
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vanilla paste
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Passion-Caramel Filling (http://www.marthastewart.com/255637/passion-caramel-filling)
- Marshmallow Filling (http://www.marthastewart.com/255396/marshmallow-filling)
- Chocolate Icing (http://www.marthastewart.com/254736/chocolate-icing)
- 5 cups prepared fondant
- Pastel-pink gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a 17-by-12-inch rimmed baking sheet with a nonstick baking mat and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk together eggs and sugar until pale and thick (the whisk should hold a ribbon-like train on the surface when raised). Add mayonnaise and vanilla paste and whisk until fully incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Transfer flour mixture to a fine-mesh sieve and sift ingredients into a medium bowl. With the mixer on low, add flour mixture to egg mixture in three additions, alternating with 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon water, mixing well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to prepared baking sheet. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in baking sheet on a wire rack. Using a 3 1/2-inch heart-shaped cutter, cut out 12 hearts. Using a 1-inch heart-shaped cutter, cut out the center of each of the larger hearts, taking care not to cut all the way through; discard centers. Transfer each cake to a plate.
- Fill the center sections of each heart with 1 tablespoon passion-caramel filling and top each with 1 tablespoon marshmallow filling. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a 3/4-inch round tip (Wilton No. 809) with chocolate icing; pipe icing over filling.
- Place fondant on a nonstick baking mat; press your thumb into the center of the fondant to make a well. Add 5 drops of food coloring in the well and knead fondant until color is well blended. Working with about 6 tablespoons fondant at a time, roll out into a 14-inch circle about 1/8-inch-thick. Cut out a 13-by-13-by-13-inch triangle from the circle.
- Drape fondant triangle over one of the heart-shaped cakes with the 4-inch side draped over the widest part of the heart. Using your fingers, press fondant to adhere; trim edges. Repeat process with remaining fondant and cakes.
- Gather scraps of fondant and place on a nonstick baking mat; press your thumb into the center of the fondant to make a well. Add 5 drops of food coloring in the well and knead until color is well blended. Roll out fondant 1/8-inch thick; using a 1/2-inch heart-shaped cutter, cut out 12 hearts. Place a heart on each cake and tie a brown ribbon around the bottom edge of each cake, if desired. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.