Hanger Steak with a Smoky Paprika Rub
This tasty steak recipe, from chef Emeril Lagasse's "Emeril at the Grill" cookbook, is perfect for warm weather gatherings.
The Martha Stewart Show, May 2009
- 2 pounds hanger steak, membrane trimmed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup sherry-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons Smoky Paprika Rub (http://www.marthastewart.com/259504/smoky-paprika-rub), plus more for seasoning
- Place steak in a gallon-size plastic resealable food storage bag.
- In a medium bowl, combine oil, balsamic and sherry-wine vinegar, apple juice, onion, garlic, and 2 tablespoons paprika rub. Pour over steak in plastic bag. Marinate, refrigerated, at least 6 hours and up to overnight, turning every few hours.
- Remove steak from refrigerator and let come to room temperature for 1 hour. Preheat grill or grill pan to high heat.
- Remove steak from marinade and season with additional paprika rub. Grill for 2 minutes, then rotate steak 90 degrees to create crosshatch marks. Cook for 2 minutes more. Turn steak and repeat process, cooking until steak has reached desired level of doneness. Steak is best served rare to medium-rare to avoid toughness.
- Remove steak from grill and let stand 5 minutes before slicing against the grain for serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.