Creamy coconut takes center stage in this sweet treat from Maury Rubin of Birdbath Bakery.
The Martha Stewart Show, May 2010
- Yield Makes about 2 dozen
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 3/4 cups plus 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 8 cups coconut chips
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and granulated sugar; add brown sugar and mix until well combined. Add eggs and mix until fully incorporated.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix to combine. Add remaining flour mixture and mix to combine. Add half of the coconut chips; mix to combine. Add remaining coconut chips and mix to combine.
- Using a 2-inch ice cream scoop, scoop out balls of dough onto prepared baking sheets at least 3 inches apart; using the flat bottom of a drinking glass, flatten dough slightly. Transfer baking sheet to refrigerator; let chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven and bake until golden brown, 14 to 16 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Let cool at least 20 minutes before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.