Coconut Cream Pie
- Yield Makes one 9-inch pie
- Perfect Plain Tart and Tartlet Crust (http://www.marthastewart.com/257414/perfect-plain-tart-and-tartlet-crust)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups scalded milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Prepare pastry recipe. Divide in half and bake one bottom crust in 9-inch pie plate. Refrigerate or freeze remaining pastry for future use.
- To make filling, in top of a double boiler, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook directly over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Beat egg yolks. Add 4 tablespoons of the hot milk mixture, whisking until well blended. Then stir egg mixture into remaining milk mixture. Cook and stir over hot water until custard is smooth and thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla, 1 cup coconut, and the butter. Pour into pie shell; refrigerate until cold.
- Whip cream with confectioners' sugar; stir in remaining 1/2 cup coconut. Spread or pipe over filling. Chill until serving time.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.