Pierogi with Italian Plum Filling and Spiced Sour Cream
Seasonal fruit, such as plump blueberries or Italian plums, makes the dumplings lighter. We added nutmeg to the sour cream for a hint of spice. Small apricots can also be used.For a step-by-step guide, see our How-To.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2010
- <a href="/recipe/basic-pierogi">Basic Pierogi</a>
For the Italian Plum Filling
- 24 small Italian plums
- 6 teaspoons sugar
For the Spiced Sour Cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Cut a slit into (but not through) each plum; remove pits. Fill cavity of each plum with 1/4 teaspoon sugar. Close plum before wrapping in dough. Use 1 plum for each pierogi.
- Mix together sour cream, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract, and nutmeg. Serve chilled. Makes 1 cup.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.